Sunday, July 24, 2011

Simple Sundays: Conversations

I have been thinking a lot about conversations lately.  I was going to do a post about how to keep them edifying and glorifying to the Lord...but I think it's been done...

Psalm 19:14
May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

Philippians 4:8
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think [and speak] about such things.


Proverbs 15:1
A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.


Luke 6:45
A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaksheart is full of.


Psalm 141:3
Set a guard over my mouth, LORD; keep watch over the door of my lips.


Proverbs 21:23
Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity.


Psalm 34:13
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies.


Job 16:5
But my mouth would encourage you; comfort from my lips would bring you relief.


Titus 2:3
Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good.


Do you have any more?  I think the Lord is clear that FIRST we need to watch what we are putting into our minds and hearts.  Then we need to use our knowledge and time to lift each other up instead of tearing each other down.  Does it need to be shared?  Does it need to be discussed?  Who is being glorified?  Who is being hurt?

Anytime at our teen Bible study one of the girls starts talking about someone we always say: Now wait, she is not here to defend herself so unless this is praising her now is not the time to discuss it.

I have a friend who prays everytime we are going to eat together that our conversation would be edifying and pleasing to the Lord. 

My favorite is "Set a guard over my mouth, Lord; keep watch over the door of my lips."

May I take my own advice and keep my tougue from evil! 

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment