Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Why I Love the 4th of July

The 4th of July is one of my favorite holidays.  I love the community feeling, the getting together of friends and hanging out.  It also hold some special significance for my relationship with Aaron...

7 (or 8) years ago: Aaron was invited to his first family event with my parents.  Although once people found out he was coming over and going to fireworks with us it turned into my parents, Becki (sister) and her boyfriend and my grandparents.  I failed to mention the additional people until the day of...he called about an hour before he was supposed to come over and told me he was dying so he could not make it :)  He came, we went, it was fun and of course everyone loved him!

5 years ago: Aaron and my father sat in the cool evening air on the deck of my parent's house.  Aaron had an important question - if he could marry my dad's baby girl.  Of course my dad said yes.  (My mom had planned to go to the mall but forgot they closed early because it was a holiday...she sat in a parking lot for a couple hours).

4 years ago: Aaron and I were married and I got to kiss him after fireworks for the first time!  (We didn't kiss at all while we were dating)

2 years ago: I got to kiss my husband, and rub my giant belly thinking that only one short year later we'd be able to take our daughter to see fireworks!

1 year ago: I got to take our first baby to see fireworks for the first time and had a great time with friends!

This year: Our daughter was finally able to enjoy running around, eating junk food and hanging out with mommy, daddy and their friends.  She got to sit with the "big kids" (some teens that came with us) on their blanket for awhile, gave daddy and Christian pats on the back and hung out with Miss Morgan!  I also got to rub my giant belly once again and think about how next year we'd have two kids doing this with us.  (It also made me laugh to think that this was one of the only socially acceptable days to keep small children out till almost midnight)

 
And can I take a moment to talk about my good friend Morgan who hung out with us yesterday?  Although she has babysat for MANY of my brothers and sisters in law I don't know many other people who do not have kids of their own that are thoughtful enough to offer to carry my kiddo through the crowd for me, play with her and help keep her contained, help clean up the trash and pack up what we were doing, share treats with my kid (and me!) and just be generally thoughtful and helpful.  When she gets married, her husband will be one of the luckiest men EVER and if she has kiddos they will have an awesome mama.  I think she is an amazing young lady!

1 comment:

  1. You are so sweet! Thank you so much for the excerpt. Brought me nearly to tears.

    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete