Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mommy, Employee, Teacher, Homemaker

I posted on my facebook the other day...

"...today I'll start off as mommy, then move to employee (although its not just a job), then switch to teacher and finish off the day as homemaker...its gonna be a busy one!"

This is my life everyday although usually there are a few more hats thrown in.  I get to be a friend, daughter and sister.  Sometimes I get to be the good guy but sometimes I have to be the bad guy.  I get to be a writer, a speaker and a listener.  I wear a lot of hats.

My children are most important.  I was excited this morning that they both slept in.  I was able to get up, get dressed and get my thoughts together before I saw Miss Grace.  Now, she usually wakes up a cheerful little thing but a few minutes to plan goes a long way in my world.  We had breakfast, cut coupons, washed up and played before I heard a noise out of Abi.  I ended up waking her up.  After some focused MOMMY time it was nap time for them and EMPLOYEE time for me.

Now, when I go to work I have a crazy commute.  It usually starts in the living room, goes through Grace's room with some kisses and tucking in, back to the kitchen for a cup of coffee flavored sugar milk then down the hall to my office.  Occasionally there is a detour to change the batteries in the swing or to give baby, baby, camel, doggy, pig and Grace another kiss because the first one didn't count.  In my office I focus on teens, teen events, teen drama and teen missions.  I plan events that will bring kids into our teen center.  I coordinate with people who will be there to make sure nothing crazy happens and of course to tell them about Jesus.  Then I spend a few minutes raising money, a bit of time studying for Bible study and then my inbox is usually full again so I start with event planning once more.  I promote shows, design posters, order radio advertisement.  On a good day I do this fully dressed in real clothes without spit up on them.  On a bad day, I do this with a baby in my lap and a two year old building and knocking over a block tower.  Other than not being able to hear on the phone though is that REALLY a bad day?  After that I switch to TEACHER.

I have the awesome privilege of meeting with 7 girls once a week with two of my dear friends as co-leaders and teaching them about all the crazy good things God has in store for them.  We talk about parents and boys and drama and love and heartbreak and success and the things that make them laugh, cry, and everything in between.  I get to point out where God is in all of it.  It is SUCH a blessing.  I usually start Mondays feeling behind and tired and end them energized from their awesome fellowship.  This is one of my favorite parts of the week!

Then after that I head back to my house where some nights I finish up 21 jars of homemade jelly (made 42 total), or go back to the office to tie up a few loose ends.  I try to do my coupon organizing, floor cleaning, meal planning and house fixing in this time.  It doesn't all get done.  Fortunately my husband is an amazing cook and an awesome friend so together we make it work.

At the end of the day, I make my rounds with peeking in on sleeping kiddos, carry my baby bundle up the stairs and pass out in my bed pleased at what got done, frustrated with what didn't and ready to start it all again the next day.

If you made it to the end of this post, I congratulate you.  This is my life and I wouldn't trade it!

No comments:

Post a Comment