Saturday, May 14, 2011

Psalm 23 (Scripture and a Scratch Pad #1)

Psalm 23

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
    (my protector, guardian and shield.  He provides everything I need for my day-to-day and my long term.  without Him I am as good as dead because of all that surrounds me.)
 2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
   (He seeks out safe places for me, places that allow me to rest under His care)
 3 he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake.
   (He cares if I am calm in spirit, if I am going the right way.  He says that it matters to Him because I am His daughter, I carry His name.)
4 Even though I walk
through the darkest valley,[a]
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
   (No matter what I face, what situations, people, places that threaten to hurt me, rob my joy or separate me from Him, they cannot do it.  He protects me - He is armed with the weapons necessary for my safety.  I cannot use them, only He is equipped to use those weapons.  I just need to trust.)
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
   (He gives me a place to rest and refresh.  He lifts me up in the presence of those who want to hurt me.  He says I am chosen.  He says I am worthy.  He says I am His.)
6 Surely your goodness and love will follow me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
forever.
   (Love, even this extravagant love, will last me every day that I walk this earth and then into my eternity with Him.  I will never be separated.  I will never be lonely.  I will never be lacking.  He is my provider and my protector.  I need nothing else.)


I have been in a mood lately...sometimes I feel like I just don't measure up.  Then I read about God who loves me like a sheep - and sheep aren't that bright - and I feel better knowing He is in control and all I have to do is willingly follow.

Elizabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment